Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Man that is born of a woman hath but A short time to live, and is full of misery. He cometh up, and is cut down like a flow'r; He flee'th as it were a shadow, and ne'er Continueth in one stay.
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , Job 14:1-2 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Henry Purcell (1658/9 - 1695), "Man that is born of a woman", Z. 27 (c1681), published 1695? [soprano, alto, tenor, chorus, and organ], anthem [text verified 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elena María Accinelli) , title 1: "Hombre que naces de una mujer", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2007-06-28 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:24
Line count: 5
Word count: 42
L'homme qui est né d'une femme n'a Qu'un court instant à vivre, et est plein de misère. Il s'élève et il est cueilli comme une fleur ; Il fuit comme s'il était une ombre, et jamais Ne s'arrête pour un séjour.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2013-10-16 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:22
Line count: 5
Word count: 41