Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Rugiadose Odorose Violette graziose, Voi vi state Vergognose, Mezzo ascose Fra le foglie, E sgridate Le mie voglie, Che son troppo ambiziose.
- by Adriano Morselli (flourished 1674-1691) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Scott Gendel (b. 1977), "Le violette", 2002-2013 [voice and piano], from Italian Art Songs & Arias, Reimagined, no. 7. [text verified 1 time]
- by Alessandro Scarlatti (1659 - 1725), "Le violette", published 1694, from the opera [selections] Pirro e Demetrio [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Débora Letícia Batista) , title 1: "Violetas", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Pietro Sirena) , title 1: "The violets", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Linda Godry) , title 1: "Die Veilchen", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Juan Henríquez Concepción) , title 1: "Las violetas", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GRE Greek (Ελληνικά) (Κατερίνα Βουτσινά) , title 1: "Οι βιολέτες", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Les violettes", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , title 1: "Na sailchuacha", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Débora Letícia Batista
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 22
Humides de rosée, Odorantes, Violettes gracieuses, Vous vous tenez Timidement, À moitié cachées Dans les feuilles. Et vous riez De mes désirs, Qui sont trop ambitieux.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2014-04-15
Line count: 10
Word count: 26