Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Rote Abendwolken ziehn am Firmament, Sehnsuchtsvoll nach dir, Mein Lieb, das Herze brennt, Himmel strahlt in glühnder Pracht, Und ich träum bei Tag und Nacht Nur allein von dem süßen Liebchen mein.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Hugo Conrat (1845 - 1906) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Rote Abendwolken ziehn am Firmament", op. 103 no. 11 (1887/8), published 1888 [ voice or SATB chorus and piano ], from Zigeunerlieder, no. 11, Berlin, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gunnar de Frumerie (1908 - 1987), "Rote Abendwolken", 1927 [ voice and piano ], from Zigeunerlieder, no. 8 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hans Melcher Svensson (1882 - 1961), "Rote Abendwolken ziehn am Firmament", 1910, orchestrated 1920 [ voice and piano ], from Acht Zigeunerlieder, no. 8 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , copyright © 2019
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Le rosse nuvole della sera viaggiano in cielo", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 32
Rode avondwolken gaan langs ‘t firmament, Hunkering naar jou, mijn lief, mijn hart slechts kent, De1 hemel straalt in vuur’ge pracht, En ik droom, ja, dag en nacht Van geen één dan mijn lieve schat alleen.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 De: bij Brahms te zingen op een voorslag.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2014 by Lau Kanen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Lau Kanen.  Contact: boudewijnkanen (AT) gmail (DOT) com
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
This text was added to the website: 2014-06-06
Line count: 5
Word count: 36