Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wer wird von der Welt verlangen, Was sie selbst vermißt und träumet, Rückwarts oder seitwarts blickend Stets den Tag des Tags versäumet? Ihr Bemühn, ihr guter Wille Hinkt nur nach dem raschen Leben, Und was du vor Jahren brauchtest, Möchte sie dir heute geben.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1814, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 5. Buch des Unmuts -- Rendsch Nameh [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Wer wird von der Welt verlangen", op. 67 (Sechs Lieder), Heft 2 no. 1 (1918) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Qui demanarà al món", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Who would demand of the world", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Celle qui demandera au monde", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 44
Who would demand of the world That which it lacks itself and of which it dreams, Gazing backwards or sideways Always missing out on the day of the day? Its endeavours, its good will Only limps in the wake of rapid life, And that which you needed years ago It would like to give you today.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1814, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 5. Buch des Unmuts -- Rendsch Nameh
This text was added to the website: 2014-09-18
Line count: 8
Word count: 56