Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich seh von des Schiffes Rande Tief in die Flut hinein: Gebirge und grüne Lande Und Trümmer im falben Schein Und zackige Türme im Grunde, Wie ich's oft im Traum mir gedacht, Wie dämmert alles da unten Als wie eine prächtige Nacht. Seekönig auf seiner Warte Sitzt in der Dämmrung tief, Als ob er mit langem Barte Über seiner Harfe schlief; Da kommen und gehen die Schiffe Darüber, er merkt es kaum, Von seinem Korallenriffe grüßt er sie wie im Traum.
- by Joseph Karl Benedikt, Freiherr von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Meeresstille", appears in Gedichte, in 7. Romanzen [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Franz (1815 - 1892), "Meeresstille", op. 8 (Sechs Gesänge) no. 2, published 1846 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Iain Sneddon) , "Becalmed", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Calme plat", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2004-04-02
Line count: 16
Word count: 81
I gaze from the prow of the ship Into the depths below: Mountains and green countryside And ruins in the gloomy light And jagged towers in the sea bed, As I have often dreamt, How like the early dawn everything gleams below Like such a magnificent night. The king of the sea on his watchtower Sitting in the twilit deep As if he, with long beard, had Fallen asleep over his harp; The ships come and go Above, he barely notices, From his coral reefs He welcomes them as if in a dream.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Iain Sneddon, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Joseph Karl Benedikt, Freiherr von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Meeresstille", appears in Gedichte, in 7. Romanzen
This text was added to the website: 2019-12-07
Line count: 16
Word count: 93