Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Apollo, s'ancor vive il bel desio Che t'infiammava a le tesaliche onde, E se non hai l'amate chiome bionde, Volgendo gli anni, già poste in oblio; Dal pigro gielo e dal tempo aspro e rio, Che dura quanto 'l tuo viso s'asconde, Difendi or l'onorata e sacra fronde Ove tu prima e poi fu' invescato io; E per vertù de l'amorosa speme Che ti sostenne ne la vita acerba, Di queste impression l'aere disgombra. Sì vedrem poi per meraviglia insieme Seder la donna nostra sopra l'erba E far de le sue braccia a sè stessa ombra.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Francesco Petrarca, Il Canzoniere con le note di Giuseppe Rigutini, rifuse e di molto accresciute da Michele Scherillo. Terza edizione, rinnovata. Ulrico Hoepli, editore libraio della real casa, Milano, 1918, page 151; and with Le Rime di Francesco Petrarca secondo la revisione ultima del poeta a cura di Giuseppe Salvo Cozzo. In Firenze, G. C. Sansoni, editore. 1904, page 36.
- by Francesco Petrarca (1304 - 1374), no title, appears in Canzoniere (Rerum vulgarium fragmenta) , in 1. Rime In vita di Madonna Laura, no. 34 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by August Wilhelm Schlegel (1767 - 1845) , "Sonett X" CAT DUT ENG FRE ; composed by Franz Peter Schubert.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , subtitle: "Sonet I", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (A. S. Kline) , no title, copyright © 2002, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2007-10-10
Line count: 14
Word count: 96
Apollo, if that sweet desire is still alive that inflamed you by the river of Thessaly, and if with the passing years you’ve not already forgotten that beloved blonde hair: defend the honoured and sacred leaves now, where you long ago, and I lately, were caught, through the slow frost and harsh and cruel time that is endured while you hide your face: and by the power of that amorous hope that sustained you, though life was bitter, disburden the air of this dark weather: so we may see by a miracle together our lady seated on the grass lifting her arms to make herself a shade.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2002 by A. S. Kline, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Francesco Petrarca (1304 - 1374), no title, appears in Canzoniere (Rerum vulgarium fragmenta) , in 1. Rime In vita di Madonna Laura, no. 34
This text was added to the website: 2015-03-10
Line count: 14
Word count: 107