Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ich weiß nicht, was im Hain die Taube girret, Ob sie betrübt wie meine Seele harret des Freundes, der von ihr sich hat verirret?
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Friedrich Rückert, Gesammelte Poetische Werke, published 1868
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Wanderung, in 1. Erster Bezirk. Italienische Gedichte, in Ritornelle, no. 34 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Ich weiß nicht", op. 113 no. 11 (1859-63) [ vocal quartet of female voices ], from 13 Kanons für Frauenstimmen, no. 11, Leipzig, Peters [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Ik weet niet", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2005-08-29 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-01-04 13:27:25
Line count: 3
Word count: 24
I don't know why, in the grove, the dove is cooing, Whether she grieves, just like my soul does, awaiting The girl I have lost?
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Ich weiß nicht" = "I know not"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Wanderung, in 1. Erster Bezirk. Italienische Gedichte, in Ritornelle, no. 34
Text added to the website: 2020-01-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-03 22:33:36
Line count: 3
Word count: 25