Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tiefer, tiefer Waldesfrieden, Lenzdurchrauschte Einsamkeit, Wie du meiner Seele Pforten, Die in Sorgen eng geworden, Oeffnest nun so weit, so weit. Sehnend suche ich im Laube Deiner Schritte sanfte Spur, Möchte, aus mir selbst entlassen, Deine lieben Hände fassen, Sonnig lächelnde Natur.
Confirmed with Anna Ritter, Gedichte, Einundzwanzigste Auflage, Stuttgart und Berlin: J.G. Cotta'sche Buchhandlung Nachfolger, 1905, page 96.
- by Anna (Nuhn) Ritter (1865 - 1921), "Im Waldesfrieden", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, no. 17 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Walter Rabl (1873 - 1940), "Im Waldesfrieden", op. 10 no. 1 [ voice and piano ], from 6 Gedichte von Anna Ritter, für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte, no. 1, Leipzig: D. Rahter, n.d. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Gustav Thudichum (1866 - 1944), "Im Waldesfrieden", op. 10 (Vier Lieder für Alt-Stimme und Pianoforte) no. 2, published 1900 [ alto and piano ], München, Schmid Nachf. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "In the peace of the forest", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Dans la paix de la forêt", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2011-07-10
Line count: 10
Word count: 42
Profound, profound peace of the forest, Solitude filled with the soughing of spring, The gates of my soul That narrowed from anxiety, How you now open them so wide, so wide. Yearningly I search in the foliage For the gentle trace of your footsteps; Released from myself, I would like To grasp your dear hands, Sunnily smiling Nature.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Anna (Nuhn) Ritter (1865 - 1921), "Im Waldesfrieden", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, no. 17
This text was added to the website: 2019-06-24
Line count: 10
Word count: 58