Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
[Phillis]1, unter diesen Buchen Will ich junge Veilchen suchen; Komm, und suche sie mit mir! [Müssen]2 wir in finstern Gründen Lange suchen, sie zu finden, Dann so ruh' ich auch mit dir!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with J.W.L. Gleim's Sämmtliche Werke, Erste Originalausgabe aus des Dichters Handschriften durch Wilhelm Körte, Erste Band, Halberstadt, im Büreau für Literatur und Kunst, 1811, page 255.
1 Hindemith: spelled "Phyllis"
2 Hindemith: "Phyllis, müssen"
- by Johann Wilhelm Ludwig Gleim (1719 - 1803), "An Phillis" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Paul Hindemith (1895 - 1963), "An Phyllis - Toccata ; Corrente", op. 35, Heft 1 no. 2 (1924) [soprano and cello], from Die Serenaden, no. 2. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "À Phyllis", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "To Phyllis", copyright © 2015
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2005-05-16
Line count: 6
Word count: 32
Phyllis, under these beeches I wish to look for young violets. Come and search for them with me. [If]1 to find them we must search long in dark places, then I will also rest with you.
1 Hindemith: "Phyllis, if"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wilhelm Ludwig Gleim (1719 - 1803), "An Phillis"
This text was added to the website: 2015-05-18
Line count: 6
Word count: 36