Da voi, cari lumi, Dipende il mio stato: Voi siete i miei Numi: Voi siete il mio fato: A vostro talento Mi sento cangiar. Ardir m'inspirate, Se lieti splendete; Se torbidi siete, Mi fate tremar.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 345.
The text appears in Attilio Regolo, atto II, scena V, Aria di Licinio.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1740, appears in Attilio Regolo [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joel Balzun (b. 1990), "Il mio fato", 2013 [ soprano and piano ], from Canti della fato e amore, no. 4 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "Da voi, cari lumi", 1750, first performed 1750 [ oboes, strings, bass voice, and continuo ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Niccolò Jommelli (1714 - 1774), "Da voi cari lumi", 1752, first performed 1753 [ 2 trumpets, 2 horns, 2 oboes, alto voice, strings ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Giacomo Meyerbeer (1791 - 1864), "Da voi, cari lumi", from Sei canzonette italiane, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "L'incanto degli occhi (Die Macht der Augen)", op. 83 (Drei Lieder von Metastasio) no. 1, D 902 no. 1 (1827), published 1827 [ bass, piano ], second setting; Tobias Haslinger, VN 5061, Wien [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "L'incanto degli occhi", D 990E (1816?), published 1979 [ soprano ], first setting; fragment (realized by Reinhard van Hoorickx) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Thomas Dawkins) , "On you, fair stars", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (David Le Marrec) , "De vous, chers astres", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Anonymous/Unidentified Artist) , "Die Macht der Augen"
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 35