Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ein' Gems auf dem Stein, Ein Vogel im Flug, Ein Mädel, das klug, Kein Bursch holt die ein.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Übermut", appears in Gedichte, in 4. Frühling und Liebe [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Ein Gems auf dem Stein", op. 113 no. 8 (1859-63) [SSAA chorus], from 13 Kanons für Frauenstimmen, no. 8, Leipzig, Peters [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alexis Holländer (1840 - 1924), "Übermuth", op. 34 (Drei Duette für 2 Sopran mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1887 [vocal duet for 2 sopranos with piano], Berlin, Schlesinger [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Een gems in de sprint", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Presumption", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Arrogance", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2004-04-02
Line count: 4
Word count: 18
Een gems in de sprint, Een vogel die vliegt, Een meisje gewiekst, Geen knaap die 'rvan wint.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2015 by Lau Kanen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Lau Kanen.  Contact: lcpkanen (AT) gmail (DOT) com
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Übermut", appears in Gedichte, in 4. Frühling und Liebe
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-02
Line count: 4
Word count: 17