Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Liebe mir im Busen Zündet einen Brand. Wasser, liebe Mutter, Eh das Herz verbrannt! Nicht das blinde Kind Straft für meine Fehle; Hat zuerst die Seele Mir gekühlt so lind. Dann entflammt's geschwind Ach, mein Unverstand; Wasser, liebe Mutter, Eh das Herz verbrannt! Ach! wo ist die Flut, Die dem Feuer wehre? Für so große Glut Sind zu arm die Meere. Weil es wohl mir tut Wein' ich unverwandt; Wasser, liebe Mutter, Eh das Herz verbrannt!
About the headline (FAQ)Note: this is thought to be an original poem by Heyse, not a translation like the others in the collection.
- by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Spanisches Liederbuch, in 2. Weltliche Lieder, no. 49 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Liebe mir im Busen", 1889-90, from Spanisches Liederbuch: Weltliche Lieder, no. 17. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "Love in my breast", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2003-11-20 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:00
Line count: 20
Word count: 76
Love in my breast Ignites a conflagration. Water, dear mother, ah, my heart’s scorched! Don’t punish the blind child for my mistakes; At first, [my] soul Cooled so gently. Then flared quickly, Ah, my confusion; Water, dear mother, ah, my heart’s scorched! Ah! where is the flood, that [could] extinguish the fire? For such glowing embers, the seas are too feeble. Because it makes me feel better I cry incessantly; Water, dear mother ah, my heart’s scorched!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Spanisches Liederbuch, in 2. Weltliche Lieder, no. 49
Text added to the website: 2016-02-08 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-02-08 10:41:36
Line count: 20
Word count: 77