Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Hosanna Filio David; benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini, [Rex]1 Israel: Hosanna in excelsis.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Corpus Antiphonalium Officii Vol. III Invitatoria et Antiphonae. Editio Critica. Editum a Renato-Joanne Hesbert Monacho Solesmensi. Casa Editrice Herder - Roma 1968, page 261 (CAO number 3142).1 Jommelli, Schubert: "O Rex"
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Niccolò Jommelli (1714 - 1774), "Hosanna filio David" [ satb chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Hosanna filio David", op. posth. 113 no. 1, D 696 no. 1 (1820), published 1829 [ satb chorus a cappella ], from Sechs Antiphonen zur Palmweihe am Palmsonntag, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , "Hosanna voor de zoon van David"
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Hosanna", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Hosanne au fils de David", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2011-11-06 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-11-03 11:50:38
Line count: 5
Word count: 14
Hosanna to the son of David: blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, 0 King of Israel: Hosanna in the highest.
- Translation from Latin to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2016-05-19 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-05-19 17:01:55
Line count: 5
Word count: 25