Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die Bläue meiner Augen ist erloschen in dieser Nacht, Das rote Gold meines Herzens. O! wie stille brannte das Licht. Dein blauer Mantel umfing den Sinkenden; Dein roter Mund besiegelte des Freundes Umnachtung.
Confirmed with Georg Trakl, Das dichterische Werk, München, 1972, page 56.
- by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Nachts", appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Sebastian im Traum [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Theodor W. Adorno (1903 - 1969), "Nachts", op. 5 no. 2 [ voice and piano ], from Klage : Sechs Gedichte von Georg Trakl für Singstimme und Klavier, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "Nachts", op. 14 (Sechs Lieder nach Gedichten von Georg Trakl (Six songs on poems of Georg Trakl)) no. 5 (1919) [ voice, clarinet, violin, and cello ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Elisabeth Siekhaus) , "At night", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "At night", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "La nuit", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "A notte", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Jeroen Scholten
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 33
The blueness of my eyes has gone out this night, the red gold of my heart. O! how still the blaze. Your blue coat enveloped the sinking one; your red mouth sealed the friend's derangement.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Nachts", appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Sebastian im Traum
This text was added to the website: 2016-06-24
Line count: 4
Word count: 35