Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nimmermehr, nimmermehr kehrst Du wieder in die Städte, nimmermehr tönt die große Glocke über Dir.
- by Franz Kafka (1883 - 1924) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by György Kurtág (b. 1926), "Nimmermehr (Excommunicatio)", op. 24 no. 1f (1985-6) [ soprano and violin ], from Kafka-Fragmente, no. 1f [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Nevermore (Excommunicatio)", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Nevermore (Excommunication)", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Jamais plus (Excommunication)", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-20
Line count: 2
Word count: 15
Go deo deo, go deo deo, a fheicfidfh tú an chathair mhór, ní chloisfidh tú an clog ag bualadh os do chionn.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Irish (Gaelic) copyright © 2016 by Gabriel Rosenstock.
This author's work falls under the Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) Creative Commons license.
Gabriel Rosenstock.  Contact: grosenstock04 (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2016-12-09
Line count: 2
Word count: 22