Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Nimmermehr, nimmermehr kehrst Du wieder in die Städte, nimmermehr tönt die große Glocke über Dir.
- by Franz Kafka (1883 - 1924) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by György Kurtág (b. 1926), "Nimmermehr (Excommunicatio)", op. 24 no. 1f (1985-6) [ soprano and violin ], from Kafka-Fragmente, no. 1f [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Nevermore (Excommunicatio)", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Nevermore (Excommunication)", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Jamais plus (Excommunication)", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
Text added to the website: 2009-05-20 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:14
Line count: 2
Word count: 15
Nevermore, nevermore will you return to the cities, Nevermore will the great bell toll for you.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2020-01-07 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-07 23:28:55
Line count: 2
Word count: 16