Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
How can I, that girl standing there, My attention fix On Roman or on Russian Or on Spanish politics? Yet here's a travelled man that knows What he talks about, And there's a politician That has read and thought, And maybe what they say is true Of war and [war's]1 alarms, But O that I were young again And held her in my arms!
Note: the poem is headed by this quote: "In our time the destiny of man presents its meanings in political terms" - Thomas Mann.
1 Wilkinson: "man's
- by William Butler Yeats (1865 - 1939), "Politics" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by John Woods Duke (1899 - 1984), "Politics", 1974 [baritone and piano], Southern/Texas [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Stephen Wilkinson (b. 1919), "Politics" [voice and piano], from Eternal Summer, no. 11. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Politique", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Politica", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2011-02-17
Line count: 12
Word count: 64
Comment puis-je, avec cette fille devant moi, Fixer mon attention Sur la politique romaine, russe ou celle de l'Espagne ? Pourtant ici il y a un homme qui a voyagé qui sait De quoi il parle, Et il y a un politicien Qui a lu et pensé, Et peut-être que ce qu'ils disent est vrai Sur la guerre et les craintes de guerre, Mais, si je pouvais être jeune à nouveau Et la tenir dans mes bras !
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-12-13
Line count: 12
Word count: 78