Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
How can I, that girl standing there, My attention fix On Roman or on Russian Or on Spanish politics? Yet here's a travelled man that knows What he talks about, And there's a politician That has read and thought, And maybe what they say is true Of war and [war's]1 alarms, But O that I were young again And held her in my arms!
Note: the poem is headed by this quote: "In our time the destiny of man presents its meanings in political terms" - Thomas Mann.
1 Wilkinson: "man's
- by William Butler Yeats (1865 - 1939), "Politics" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by John Woods Duke (1899 - 1984), "Politics", 1974 [baritone and piano], Southern/Texas [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Stephen Wilkinson (b. 1919), "Politics" [voice and piano], from Eternal Summer, no. 11. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Politique", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Politica", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2011-02-17 00:00:00
Last modified: 2015-02-06 14:57:07
Line count: 12
Word count: 64
Come posso, con quella ragazza là in piedi, fissare l'attenzione sulla politica Romana o Russa o su quella Spagnola? Eppure qui sta un uomo navigato che sa bene ciò di cui parla, e c'è un politico che ha letto e riflettuto, e può darsi sia vero quanto dicono sulla guerra e sugli allarmi di guerra, ma... Potessi tornare giovane, e stringerla fra le braccia!
- Translation from English to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2013 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2013-03-25 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:09
Line count: 12
Word count: 64