Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Jetzt am Abend, nachdem ich von sechs Uhr früh an gelernt habe, bemerke ich, wie meine linke Hand die Rechte schon ein Weilchen lang aus Mitleid bei den Fingern umfaßt hielt.
- by Franz Kafka (1883 - 1924) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by György Kurtág (b. 1926), "Aus einem alten Notizbuch", op. 24 no. 4d (1985-6) [ soprano and violin ], from Kafka-Fragmente, no. 4d [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "From an old notebook", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "D'un vieux cahier", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-20
Line count: 3
Word count: 31
Maintenant, le soir, après avoir étudié depuis six heures du matin, je remarquais que ma main gauche depuis un certain temps serrait les doigts de la droite en compassion.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-12-15
Line count: 3
Word count: 29