Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Als wir hinter dem beblümten tore Endlich nur das eigne hauchen spürten Warden uns erdachte seligkeiten? Ich erinnere dass wie schwache rohre Beide stumm zu beben wir begannen Wenn wir leis nur an uns rührten Und dass unsre augen rannen – So verbliebest du mir lang zu seiten.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Stefan George, Die Bücher der Hirten- und Preisgedichte, der Sagen und Sänge und der hängenden Gärten. Gesamt-Ausgabe der Werke, Band 3, Berlin, 1930, page 108.
- by Stefan George (1868 - 1933), no title, appears in Das Buch der hängenden Gärten [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Arnold Franz Walter Schoenberg (1874 - 1951), "Als wir hinter dem beblümten tore", op. 15 no. 11 (1908-9), from Das Buch der hängenden Gärten, no. 11 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Quan finalment varem ser darrera el portal florit", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "As we, behind the flowery gate", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Quando finalmente, alle spalle del cancello fiorito", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 48
As we, behind the flowery gate, Finally perceived nothing but our own breathing, Did we experience imagined bliss? I remember that like fragile reeds We both began to tremble mutely When we brushed against one another only softly And that our eyes flowed with tears - Thus you long remained at my side.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Stefan George (1868 - 1933), no title, appears in Das Buch der hängenden Gärten
This text was added to the website: 2017-04-19
Line count: 8
Word count: 53