Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Sie wandeln durch des Waldes Grün. Vögel singen und Blumen blühn. Ein blasser Mann und ein stilles Kind. Sie schlürfen durstig den Frühlingswind. Und der Knabe [bleibt]1 verwundert stehn: "Ich glaub', ich kann die Mutter sehn." Sie starren in das junge Grün . . . Vögel singen und Blumen blühn.
Confirmed with Alfred Mombert, Tag und Nacht. Gedichte, Heidelberg: Verlag von J. Hörning, 1894, page 461 Berg: "blieb"
- by Alfred Mombert (1872 - 1942), "Spaziergang", appears in Tag und Nacht: Gedichte, first published 1894 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Spaziergang", 1906 [voice and piano], from Jugendlieder, Vol. II (1904-08), no. 57. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Ernest Vietor (fl. 1905-1930), "Spaziergang", op. 14 no. 4 (1936). [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Promenade", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , title 1: "Spasertur", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Stroll", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Jakob Kellner , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 51
They wander through the green of the woods. Birds are singing and flowers are blooming. A pale man and a silent child. Thirstily they drink in the spring breeze. And the boy [stands]1 still in astonishment: "I believe that I can see my mother." They stare into the fresh greenery . . . Birds are singing and flowers are blooming.
1 Berg: "stood"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Alfred Mombert (1872 - 1942), "Spaziergang", appears in Tag und Nacht: Gedichte, first published 1894
This text was added to the website: 2017-05-13
Line count: 8
Word count: 61