Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mein Herz weiß nicht den jungen Lenz zu tragen, der [plötzlich]1 über Nacht in grüner Wunderpracht [sein Zelt sich vor dem Thore]2 aufgeschlagen. Mißtrauisch ist es heut hinausgegangen und suchte halb im Traum an jedem grünen Baum die gelben Blätter, die vom Herbste hangen.
Confirmed with Alfred Mombert, Tag und Nacht. Gedichte, Heidelberg: Verlag von J. Hörning, 1894, page 411 omitted by Knab
2 Knab: "seine Zelte vor dem Tore"
- by Alfred Mombert (1872 - 1942), "Halb im Traum", appears in Tag und Nacht: Gedichte [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Elsa Gregory (fl. 1900-20), "Halb im Traum" [voice and piano], from Fünf Gesänge, no. 4. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Armin Knab (1881 - 1951), "Halb im Traum", op. 6 no. 2, published <<1925 [voice and piano], from Mombert-Lieder, no. 3. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Half in a dream", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2008-06-21
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
My heart does not know how to bear the young springtime, which [suddenly]1 overnight, in wondrous green splendour, has pitched its [tent]2 before the gate. [My heart] went out today, suspiciously, and, half in a dream, it sought upon every green tree the yellow leaves that have hung there since autumn.
1 omitted by Knab
2 Knab: "tents"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Alfred Mombert (1872 - 1942), "Halb im Traum", appears in Tag und Nacht: Gedichte
This text was added to the website: 2017-05-15
Line count: 8
Word count: 52