Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ihr tratet zu dem herde Wo alle glut verstarb · Licht war nur an der erde Vom monde leichenfarb. Ihr tauchet in die aschen Die bleichen finger ein Mit suchen tasten haschen -- Wird es noch einmal schein! Seht was mit [trostgebärde]1 Der mond euch rät: Tretet weg vom herde · Es ist worden spät.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Stefan George, Werke. Ausgabe in Zwei Bänden, Erster Band, 4. Auflage, Stuttgart: Klett-Cotta, 1984, page 1651 Webern: "trostgeberde"
- by Stefan George (1868 - 1933), no title, appears in Das Jahr der Seele, in Traurige Tänze, no. 28 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Hans Fleischer (1896 - 1981), "Ihr tratet zu dem herde", op. 100 (4 Gesänge für Bariton und Orchester) no. 4 (1934). [baritone and orchestra] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Arnold Mendelssohn (1855 - 1933), "Ihr tratet zu dem herde" [ sung text not verified ]
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "Ihr tratet zu dem herde", op. 4 (Fünf Lieder nach Gedichten von Stefan George) no. 5 (1908-9). [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "You approached the hearth", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Hubert Schmid , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 54
You approached the hearth Where all the glow was dying · The only light on the ground Came from the corpse-coloured moon. Into the ashes you plunged Your pale fingers With seeking scrabbling snatching -- Shall it come alight once more! See what, with a comforting mien, The moon advises you to do: Step away from the hearth · It has grown late.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Stefan George (1868 - 1933), no title, appears in Das Jahr der Seele, in Traurige Tänze, no. 28
This text was added to the website: 2017-08-29
Line count: 12
Word count: 62