Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ob du tanzen gehst in Tand und Plunder, Ob dein Herz sich wund in Sorgen müht, Täglich neu erfährst du doch das Wunder, Daß des Lebens Flamme in dir glüht. Mancher läßt sie lodern und verprassen, Trunken im verzückten Augenblick, Andre geben sorglich und gelassen Kind und Enkeln weiter ihr Geschick. Doch verloren sind nur dessen Tage, Den sein Weg durch dumpfe Dämmrung führt, Der sich sättigt in des Tages Plage Und des Lebens Flamme niemals spürt.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 217.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Die Flamme", written 1910 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Die Flamme", 1980 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Carl Theodor) Oskar Ulmer (1883 - 1966), "Die Flamme", op. 34 no. 1 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Justus Hermann Wetzel (1879 - 1973), "Die Flamme ", op. 11 no. 13, published 1925 [ voice and piano ], from Zweiter Liederkreis - 15 Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 13 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The flame", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "La flamme", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2008-07-04
Line count: 12
Word count: 77
Whether you go dancing in trumpery and trinkets, Whether your heart wounds itself, labouring in anxieties, Every day anew you [nevertheless] experience the wonder That the flame of life glows within you. Many a person lets it flare and dissipate, Drunkenly in the ecstatic moment; Others, caringly and serenely, pass on Their fate to their children and grandchildren. Lost, however, are only his days Whose path leads through muffled twilight, Who satiates himself with the vexations of the day And never perceives the flame of life.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Die Flamme", written 1910
This text was added to the website: 2017-10-21
Line count: 12
Word count: 86