Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Der Herbst streut weiße Nebel aus, Es kann nicht immer Sommer sein! Der Abend lockt mit Lampenschein Mich aus der Kühle früh ins Haus. Bald stehen Baum und Garten leer, Dann glüht nur noch der wilde Wein Ums Haus, und bald verglüht auch der, Es kann nicht immer Sommer sein. Was mich zur Jugendzeit erfreut, Es hat den alten frohen Schein Nicht mehr und freut mich nimmer heut - Es kann nicht immer Sommer sein. O Liebe, wundersame Glut, Die durch der Jahre Lust und Mühn Mir immer hat gebrannt im Blut - O Liebe, kannst auch du verglühn?
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 163-164.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Herbstbeginn", written 1910 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Rudolf Brömel (b. 1877), "Herbstbeginn", published 1945-8 [ voice and piano ], from Hermann Hesse Lieder, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ferdinand Gerhardt , "Herbstbeginn" [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by August Reuss (1871 - 1935), "Herbstbeginn ", op. 44 (Sechs Lieder für mittlere Singstimme) no. 5, published 1924 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Winfried Schreiter (b. 1930), "Oktober", 2004 [ voice and piano ], from Zwei Lieder für eine Singstimme und Klavier , no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2007-06-02
Line count: 16
Word count: 99
Autumn is scattering white mists, It cannot always be summer! With lamp-glow the evening entices me Early to come out of the coolness into the house. Soon trees and gardens shall stand empty, Then only the wild grapevines shall still glow About the house, and soon they too shall fade, It cannot always be summer. That which delighted me in my youth, It no longer has the old merry radiance And does not delight me any longer - It cannot always be summer. Oh Love, you wondrous blaze That through the the happiness and toil of the years Has always flamed in my veins - Oh Love, can you fade too?
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Oktober" = "October"
"Herbstbeginn" = "Beginning of autumn"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Herbstbeginn", written 1910
This text was added to the website: 2017-12-20
Line count: 16
Word count: 111