Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Pensa che questo istante Del tuo destin decide; Ch'oggi rinasce Alcide Per la futura età. Pensa che adulto sei, Che sei di Giove un figlio, Che merto e non consiglio La scelta tua sarà.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 659.
The text appears in "Alcide al Bivio", scena I, Aria di Fronimo
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1760, appears in Alcide al Bivio [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka (1804 - 1857), "Pensa, che questo istante", also set in Russian (Русский) [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Pensa, che questo istante", D 76 (1813) [ bass and piano ], First version published 1969, second version published 1871 [sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by V. Rozhdestvensky ; composed by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Pensa que aquest instant", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Consider, that this very moment", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Pense que cet instant", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-05-02 02:19:07
Line count: 8
Word count: 34
Pensa que aquest instant del teu destí decideix que avui Alcides reneixi per els temps venidors. Pensa que ets adult que ets fill de Júpiter, que el mèrit i no el consell serà la teva opció.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2017 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1760, appears in Alcide al Bivio
Text added to the website: 2017-12-28 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-12-28 13:01:59
Line count: 8
Word count: 36