Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ces attraits que chacun admire, Ce regard divin, ce sourire! Nous faisaient tomber tous, Hélas! Madame à vos genoux! Déesse ou femme, Ange des cieux! Qui ne s'enflamme A perdu l'âme, Ou bien les yeux! Cette voix que chacun adore, Cette douce voix chante encore! Qu'ils étaient ravissants, Mon Dieu! qu'ils étaient ravissants, Madame, ces doux accents; Déesse ou femme...
- by (Paul) Jules Barbier (1825 - 1901) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Michel Carré (1822 - 1872) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Charles Gounod (1818 - 1893), "Déesse ou femme", CG 6c [ voice and piano ], from opera La Colombe [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Goddess or woman", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2003-11-07
Line count: 15
Word count: 60
Such traits which all admire, This divine glance, this smile! They make us all fall down before you, Ma’am, at your feet! Alas! Goddess or woman, Angel from heaven! He who doesn’t catch fire will lose his soul, Or indeed his eyes! This voice which everyone adores, This sweet voice still sings! They were lovely, My God! They were lovely, Ma'am, those sweet strains; Goddess or woman...
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2018 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by (Paul) Jules Barbier (1825 - 1901) and by Michel Carré (1822 - 1872)
This text was added to the website: 2018-01-07
Line count: 15
Word count: 67