Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Woget brausend, Harmonieen, Kehre wieder, alte Zeit; Punschgefüllte Becher, wandert In des Kreises Heiterkeit! Mich ergreifen schon die Wellen, Bin der Erde weit entrückt; Sterne winken, Lüfte säuseln, - Und die Seele ist beglückt! Was das Leben aufgebürdet, Liegt am Ufer nebelschwer; Steu're fort, ein rascher Schwimmer, In das hohe Friedensmeer. Was des [Schwimmens Lust vermehrt]1, Ist das Plätschern hinterdrein; Denn es folgen die Genossen, Keiner will der Letzte sein.
Confirmed with Gedichte von Johann Mayrhofer. Neue Sammlung. Aus dessen Nachlasse mit Biographie und Vorwort herausgegeben von Ernst Freih. v. Feuchtersleben. Wien, 1843. Verlag von Ignaz Klang, Buchhändler, page 84.1 Schubert: "Schwimmers Lust vermehret"
- by Johann Baptist Mayrhofer (1787 - 1836), "Zum Punsche" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Zum Punsche", D 492 (1816) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Al ponx", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Op de punch", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "With the punch", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Au punch", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 70
Harmonies, surge and ring out, Former time, come back; Goblet filled with punch, travel Into the cheerfulness of this circle! The waves have already taken hold of me, I have been transported far from the world; Stars signal, breezes rustle, - And the soul is delighted! What life burdens us with Lies heavy as fog on the shore; Steer your course, be a quick swimmer, Into the high sea of peace. What increases the swimmer's delight Is the splashing going on behind; For colleagues are following, Nobody wants to be the last.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Baptist Mayrhofer (1787 - 1836), "Zum Punsche"
This text was added to the website: 2018-01-17
Line count: 16
Word count: 92