Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
That I did always love, I bring thee proof: That till I loved I did not love enough. That I shall love alway, I offer thee That love is life, And life hath immortality. This, dost thou doubt, sweet? Then have I Nothing to show But Calvary.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems of Emily Dickinson, first published 1890 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Peter Mennin (1923 - 1983), "That I did always love", published 1979 [ SSA chorus, harp, piano, and percussion ], from Reflections of Emily [sung text not yet checked]
- by Thomas Pasatieri (b. 1945), "That I did always love", published 1976 [ soprano, clarinet, violin, violoncello, and piano ], from Far from love, no. 7 [sung text not yet checked]
Set in a modified version by Jake Heggie, Logan Skelton.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Que j'ai toujours aimé", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:26
Line count: 12
Word count: 47
Que j'ai toujours aimé, Je t'en apporte la Preuve Que jusqu'à ce que j'aime Je n'ai jamais vécu — c'est Assez — Que j'aimerai toujours — Je t'en persuade Que l'amour est la vie — Et que la vie a l'Immortalité — Ceci — si tu en doutes — Chéri — Alors je n'ai Rien à montrer Si ce n'est mon Calvaire —
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2018 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems of Emily Dickinson, first published 1890
Text added to the website: 2018-03-14 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-03-14 13:20:23
Line count: 12
Word count: 63