Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
That I did always love, I bring thee proof: That till I loved I did not love enough. That I shall love alway, I offer thee That love is life, And life hath immortality. This, dost thou doubt, sweet? Then have I Nothing to show But Calvary.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems of Emily Dickinson, first published 1890 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Peter Mennin (1923 - 1983), "That I did always love", published 1979 [ SSA chorus, harp, piano, and percussion ], from Reflections of Emily [sung text not yet checked]
- by Thomas Pasatieri (b. 1945), "That I did always love", published 1976 [ soprano, clarinet, violin, violoncello, and piano ], from Far from love, no. 7 [sung text not yet checked]
Set in a modified version by Jake Heggie, Logan Skelton.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Que j'ai toujours aimé", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 47
Que j'ai toujours aimé, Je t'en apporte la Preuve Que jusqu'à ce que j'aime Je n'ai jamais vécu — c'est Assez — Que j'aimerai toujours — Je t'en persuade Que l'amour est la vie — Et que la vie a l'Immortalité — Ceci — si tu en doutes — Chéri — Alors je n'ai Rien à montrer Si ce n'est mon Calvaire —
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2018 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems of Emily Dickinson, first published 1890
This text was added to the website: 2018-03-14
Line count: 12
Word count: 63