Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Sete anos de pastor Jacob servia Labão, pai de Raquel, serrana bela; Mas não servia ao pai, servia a ela, E a ela só por prémio pretendia. Os dias, na esperança de um só dia, Passava, contentando-se com vê-la; Porém o pai, usando de cautela, Em lugar de Raquel lhe dava Lia. Vendo o triste pastor que com enganos Lhe fora assim negada a sua pastora, Como se a não tivera merecida, Começa de servir outros sete anos, Dizendo: -- Mais servira, se não fora Para tão longo amor tão curta a vida!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Luiz Vaz de Camõens (1524? - 1580), "Sete anos de pastor Jacob servia" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Paulo Florence (1864 - 1949), "Sete anos de pastor", 192-? [voice and piano], from Cinco sonetos, no. 4. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Glauco Velasquez (1883 - 1914), "Sete anos de pastor", op. 108 (1913). [voice and chamber orchestra or piano] [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2010-06-27
Line count: 14
Word count: 92
Seven years as a shepherd Jacob served for Laban, father of Rachel, the beauteous highlander, but he did not slave away for the father, but for her, and for her alone did he strive as reward for his labors. The days, in hope of the sole awaited day, he passed, contenting himself with seeing her. However, the father, employing his caution, gave him Leah in place of Rachel. The doleful shepherd, seeing that with treachery he had been so denied his shepherdess, in a manner he had not deserved, Begins to serve for another seven years, saying, "More I had served, if only life were not so short for such a long love!"
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Sete anos de pastor" = "Seven years as a shepherd"
"Sete anos de pastor Jacob servia" = "Seven years as a shepherd Jacob served"
- Translation from Portuguese (Português) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Portuguese (Português) by Luiz Vaz de Camõens (1524? - 1580), "Sete anos de pastor Jacob servia"
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-05
Line count: 16
Word count: 113