Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Dovunque il guardo giro, Immenso Dio, ti vedo: Nell' opre tue t'ammiro, Ti riconosco in me. La terra, il mar, le [sfere]1 Parlan del tuo potere: Tu sei per tutto, e noi Totti viviamo in te.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 506.
The text appears in La passione di Gesù Cristo, parte II, Aria di Giovanni.1 Glinka: "stelle"
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in La passione di Gesù Cristo [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka (1804 - 1857), "Dovunque il guardo giro", also set in Russian (Русский) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by V. Rozhdestvensky ENG ; composed by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "Wheresoever I look about", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2003-12-07 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-09-02 04:54:26
Line count: 8
Word count: 36
Wheresoever I look about, Immense God, I see you: I admire you in your handiwork, and recognize you in myself. Earth, sea, the planets, all speak of your might; you exist in everything, and we all live through you.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in La passione di Gesù Cristo
Text added to the website: 2018-06-07 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-06-07 00:28:48
Line count: 8
Word count: 39