Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Es wehet kühl und leise Die Luft durch dunkle Auen, Und nur der Himmel lächelt Aus tausend hellen Augen. Es regt nur Eine Seele Sich in [der Meere]1 Brausen, Und in den leisen Worten, Die durch die Blätter rauschen. So tönt in Welle Welle, Wo Geister heimlich trauren; So folgen Worte Worten, Wo Geister Leben hauchen. Durch alle Töne tönet Im bunten Erdentraume [Ein]2 leiser Ton gezogen, Für den, der heimlich lauschet.
Confirmed with Musen-Almanach für das Jahr 1802. Herausgegeben von A. W. Schlegel und L. Tieck. Tübingen, in der Cotta'schen Buchhandlung, 1802, page 156; and with Friedrich Schlegel's sämmtliche Werke. Erster Band. Gedichte. Berlin, bei Julius Eduard Hitzig, 1809, page 33.1 Schubert: "des Meeres"
2 Schubert: "Ein, nur ein"
- by Friedrich von Schlegel (1772 - 1829), "Die Gebüsche", appears in Abendröte, in Zweiter Teil, no. 10, first published 1802 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Die Gebüsche", D 646 (1819), published 1885 [ voice, piano ], Friedlaender VII, Leipzig [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Els matossars", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De bosjes", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "The undergrowth", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Les buissons", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 72
There is a cool and gentle movement In the air going across the dark meadows, And only the sky smiles From a thousand bright eyes. Only a single soul is stirring In the roaring of the sea, And in the gentle words Which are rustling through the leaves. Thus wave echoes wave Where spirits grieve in secret; Thus words follow words, Where spirits breathe life. Resounding amongst all the notes In the colourful dreams of earth, A single faint note rings out For the person who is secretly paying attention.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich von Schlegel (1772 - 1829), "Die Gebüsche", appears in Abendröte, in Zweiter Teil, no. 10, first published 1802
This text was added to the website: 2018-08-24
Line count: 16
Word count: 90