Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Lauter Freude fühl' ich, Lauter Liebe hör' ich, Ich so überglücklich Fröhlich spielend Kind. Dort der gute Vater, Hier die liebe Mutter, Rundherum wir Kinder [Froh und fröhlich sind.]1
1 Final line supplemented by Reinhard van Hoorickx; Schubert's fragment breaks off after repetition of the preceding line.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Lied eines Kindes", D 596 (1817), published 1895 [ voice and piano ], fragment; completed by Reinhard van Hoorickx [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Cançó d’un infant", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Lied van een kind", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "A child's song", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chant d'un enfant", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2010-03-04
Line count: 8
Word count: 29
I can feel intense joy, I can hear intense love, I am more than happy, A child playing merrily. There is my good father, Here is my loving mother, All around we children Are happy and merry.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2018-09-18
Line count: 8
Word count: 37