Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Lilla Carl, sov sött i frid, Du får tids nog vaka, Tids nog se vår onda tid Och hennes galla smaka. Världen är en sorgeö, Bäst man andas, skall man dö Och bli mull tillbaka. Så är med vår livstid fatt, Och så försvinna åren: Bäst man andas godt och gladt, Så ligger man på båren. Lilla charles skall tänka så, När han se de blommer små, Som bepryda våren.
- by Carl S. Michael Bellman (1740 - 1795) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Lilla Carl", WoO. 158a (23 Lieder verschiedener Völker) no. 17 (1816-7). [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (David McCleery) , "Little Carl", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Petit Carl", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2006-10-03
Line count: 14
Word count: 70
Little Carl, sleep sweetly in peace For there will be plenty of time to watch, Plenty of time to see our dark times And savour their bitter taste. The world is an island of sorrow, In our prime we breathe, but we will die And return to dust. This is how our lives play out As the years disappear: In our prime, we breathe health and happiness, But we will end up in a coffin. Little Charles will think these thoughts When he sees the small flowers That adorn the springtime.
- Translation from Swedish (Svenska) to English copyright © 2018 by David McCleery, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2018-09-19
Line count: 14
Word count: 91