Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ich bin der [Hirsch und du]1 das Reh, Der Vogel du und ich der Baum, Die Sonne du und ich der Schnee, Du bist der Tag und ich der Traum. Nachts aus meinem schlafenden Mund Fliegt ein Goldvogel zu dir, Hell ist seine Stimme, sein Flügel bunt, Der singt dir das Lied voll der Liebe, Der singt dir das Lied von mir.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 274.1 Thienemann: "Hirsch, du bist"
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Liebeslied", subtitle: "(1920)", written 1920 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Werner Bühler (1904 - 1968), "Liebeslied" [high voice and piano], from Lieder für eine höhere Singstimme nach Texten von Hermann Hesse, no. 24. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ferdinand Gerhardt , "Liebeslied", 1949. [medium voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Leni Gromann , "Liebeslied", <<1948. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Georg Krietsch (1904 - 1969), "Liebeslied", published 1953. [four-part mixed chorus a cappella] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Liebeslied", op. 42a no. 6 (1977) [medium voice and piano], from Stufen - Hesse-Lieder 1977 für mittlere Singstimme, no. 6. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Bruno Stürmer (1892 - 1958), "Liebeslied", published 1952. [four-part mixed chorus a cappella] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Herbert Thienemann (1884 - 1963), "Liebeslied", published 1931 [voice and guitar or lute], from Sonne im Herbst - Lieder zur Gitarre (Laute), no. 21. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerhard Wiemer (b. 1902), "Liebeslied" [duet for baritone and mezzo-soprano with piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Love song", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Chanson d'amour", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2009-05-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-08-08 13:40:44
Line count: 9
Word count: 62
I am the [deer buck and you]1 the doe, You the bird and I the tree, You the sun and I the snow, You are the day and I the dream. At night from my sleeping mouth A golden bird flies to you, Its voice is bright, its feathers colourful, It sings the song full of love to you, It sings to you the song from me.
1 Thienemann: "deer buck, you are"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Liebeslied", subtitle: "(1920)", written 1920
Text added to the website: 2018-09-23 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-11-27 20:30:47
Line count: 9
Word count: 67