Über die Berge Zieht ihr fort; Kommt an manchen Grünen Ort, Muß zurücke Ganz allein; Lebet wohl! Es muß so seyn. Scheiden, Meiden, Was man liebt, Ach wie wird Das Herz betrübt! O Seenspiegel, Wald und Hügel Schwinden all'; Hör' verschwimmen Eurer Stimmen Wiederhall. Lebt wohl! Klingt klagevoll. Ach wie wird Das Herz betrübt! Scheiden, Meiden, Was man liebt.
Note: Schubert received Mayrhofer's texts generally in handwriting; the printed edition of Mayrhofer's poems appeared much later and presents the texts usually in a revised version. This version does not appear to exist in published form apart from Schubert's song.
The text shown is a variant of another text.
It is based on
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Abschied", subtitle: "Nach einer Wallfahrtsarie bearbeitet", D 475 (1816), published 1885 [ voice, piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Comiat", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Afscheid", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Farewell", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Adieu", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Addio", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Richard Morris
This text was added to the website: 2019-10-28
Line count: 26
Word count: 59