Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Über die Berge Zieht ihr fort; Kommt an manchen Grünen Ort, Muß zurücke Ganz allein; Lebet wohl! Es muß so seyn. Scheiden, Meiden, Was man liebt, [O]1 wie wird Das Herz betrübt! [Wald und Hügel, Seenspiegel -]2 Schwinden all'; Hör' verschwimmen Eurer Stimmen Wiederhall. [Scheiden, Meiden, Was man liebt, O wie wird Das Herz betrübt!]3
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Johann Mayrhofer. Wien. Bey Friedrich Volke. 1824, pages 15-16.
Note: Schubert received Mayrhofer's texts generally in handwriting; the printed edition of Mayrhofer's poems appeared much later and presents the texts usually in a revised version.1 Schubert: "Ach"
2 Schubert: "O Seenspiegel, / Wald und Hügel"
3 Schubert: "Lebt wohl! / Klingt klagevoll. / Ach wie wird / Das Herz betrübt! / Scheiden, / Meiden, / Was man liebt."
- by Johann Baptist Mayrhofer (1787 - 1836), "Lunz" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Abschied", subtitle: "Nach einer Wallfahrtsarie bearbeitet", D. 475 (1816), published 1885. [voice, piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Comiat", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Afscheid", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Farewell", copyright ©
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Adieu", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Addio", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-08-08 15:22:49
Line count: 24
Word count: 55
Over the mountains You are setting off; You will come to many Green places, [I] have to go back Completely alone; Farewell! This is how it has to be. Parting Avoiding What one loves, Oh how Distressed the heart is becoming! Oh, the lake-mirror, Forest and hills, They are all disappearing; [I] can hear the decay Of your voices' Echo. Fare well! Ring out full of lamenting. Oh how Distressed the heart is becoming! Parting, Avoiding What one loves.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Lunz" = "Lunz"
"Abschied" = "Farewell"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2018-01-14 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-01-14 15:25:46
Line count: 26
Word count: 79