Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Über die Berge Zieht ihr fort; Kommt an manchen Grünen Ort, Muß zurücke Ganz allein; Lebet wohl! Es muß so seyn. Scheiden, Meiden, Was man liebt, Ach wie wird Das Herz betrübt! O Seenspiegel, Wald und Hügel Schwinden all'; Hör' verschwimmen Eurer Stimmen Wiederhall. Lebt wohl! Klingt klagevoll. Ach wie wird Das Herz betrübt! Scheiden, Meiden, Was man liebt.
Note: Schubert received Mayrhofer's texts generally in handwriting; the printed edition of Mayrhofer's poems appeared much later and presents the texts usually in a revised version. This version does not appear to exist in published form apart from Schubert's song.
The text shown is a variant of another text. [ View differences ]
It is based on
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Abschied", subtitle: "Nach einer Wallfahrtsarie bearbeitet", D 475 (1816), published 1885 [ voice, piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Comiat", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Afscheid", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Farewell", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Adieu", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Addio", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Richard Morris
This text was added to the website: 2019-10-28
Line count: 26
Word count: 59
Te ne vai via per i monti In molti luoghi di verde ricoperti; Debbo tornare tutto solo, Addio! E' questo il mio destino. Separarsi, lasciare chi si vuole bene, Oh, al cuore porta tante pene! Il lago limpido, il bosco, la collina sembra svanire; E l'eco della tua voce sento scomparire. Addio! Risuona un lamento, Oh, al cuore porta tanto tormento, Separarsi, lasciare chi si ama; Addio! Come un lamento risuona.
Note: this is a translation of Schubert's version.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-03-09
Line count: 26
Word count: 71