Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Über meinen Nächten Träumt ein leiser, goldner Klang; Scheues Flüstern in den Halmen, Dunkles Rauschen fremder Palmen, Halbverwehter Liebessang. Über meinen Nächten Glühn und leuchten grosse Sterne, Sonnenhaft aus tiefem Blau; Deine Augen, schöne Frau, Grüßen mich aus weiter Ferne... Über meinen Nächten Weint ein unvergessenes Weh; Daß ich deine Lilienreinheit, Deiner Locken Glanz und Feinheit Niemals widerseh'.
- by Maria Eichhorn-Fischer (c1879 - 1908+), as Dolorosa [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Über meinen Nächten", 1902 [ voice and piano ], from Jugendlieder, Vol. I (1901-04), no. 9 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "Throughout my nights", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Au-dessus de mes nuits", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Bertram Kottmann
Text added to the website: 2011-06-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-05 13:25:22
Line count: 15
Word count: 58
Throughout my nights Dreams a quiet, golden sound; Bashful whispering in the reeds, Dark rustling of exotic palms, Songs of love half-wafted away. Throughout my nights Large stars glow and sparkle, Like suns out of the deep blue, Your eyes, beautiful woman, Greeting me out of the vast distance. Throughout my nights Laments an unforgettable grief: That your loving purity, Your hair’s lustre and elegance, I nevermore might see again.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Maria Eichhorn-Fischer (c1879 - 1908+), as Dolorosa
Text added to the website: 2020-01-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-04 14:32:03
Line count: 15
Word count: 70