Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Hier in der öden Fremde, ach so fern von dir, wildes wildes qualvolles Sehnen bricht mir das Herze schier. Düstre Wälder und Klüfte sind der Aufenthalt mir.
- by Paul Hohenberg (1885 - 1956) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Sehnsucht I", 1902 [ voice and piano ], from Jugendlieder, Vol. I (1901-04), no. 10 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "Longing I", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Nostalgie I", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Peter Donderwinkel
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:33
Line count: 6
Word count: 27
Here in the dreary wilderness, Ah, so far from you, Wild, wild anguished longing Utterly breaks my heart. Gloomy woods and chasms Are my home.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2020-01-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-04 14:33:10
Line count: 6
Word count: 25