Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn die Nacht sich über die Welt senkt mit dem segnenden Schwingen, dann erwacht das Sehnen in mir. Nicht mehr kann ich's bezwingen. Dann erwacht' das Sehnen in mir nach entschwundene Tagen, wo ich der Liebe Leid und Lust in dem Herzen getragen. Wo ich ein leuchtendes Sternenpaar sah in mein Leben scheinen, teures Lieb! Wenn ich daran denke muß ich weinen, so bitterlich weinen.
- by Paul Hohenberg (1885 - 1956) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Sehnsucht III", 1902 [ voice and piano ], from Jugendlieder, Vol. I (1901-04), no. 14 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "Longing 3", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Nostalgie III", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Peter Donderwinkel
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 65
When night settles itself over the world With its wings of benediction, Then a longing awakens within me. No longer can I control it. Then a longing awakens within me After fleeting days, Where the pain and passion of love I carried in my heart. Where I saw a pair of luminous stars Shining within my life; Dearest love! Whenever I think about that I must weep, weep so bitterly.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2020-02-01
Line count: 12
Word count: 70