Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Reich den Pokal mir schäumenden Weines voll, Reich mir die Lippen zum Kusse, die blühenden, Rühre die Saiten, die seelenberauschenden! Feuer des Mutes brennt im Pokale mir, Gluten der Liebe glühn auf der Lippe dir, Flammen des Lebens rauschen die Saiten mir. Woge des Kampfes, reiß in die Brandung mich! Wogen der Liebe, hebt zu den Wolken mich! Schäumendes Leben, jubelnd begrüß ich dich!
- by Robert Reinick (1805 - 1852) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Skolie", from 9 Reinick-Lieder, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Drinking song", copyright © 2020
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chanson à boire", first published 1892, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Skolie", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 64
Hand me the goblet full of effervescent wine, Reach me your blossom-like lips to kiss, Strike the lute-strings that can intoxicate the soul! In that cup burns the fire of courage, On your lips blazes the fervor of love, The chords rouse the flame of life in me. Wave of battle, drag me to the breakers! Waves of love, lift me to the clouds! Effervescent life, I greet you with jubilation!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
This text was added to the website: 2020-02-18
Line count: 9
Word count: 71