Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Seitdem dein Aug' in meines schaute, Und Liebe, wie vom Himmel her, Aus ihm auf mich herniedertaute, Was böte mir die Erde mehr? Ihr Bestes hat sie mir gegeben, Und von des Herzens stillem Glück Ward übervoll mein ganzes Leben Durch jenen einen Augenblick.
- by Adolf Friedrich, Graf von Schack (1815 - 1894) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Seitdem dein Aug' in meines schaute", op. 17 (Sechs Lieder von Adolf Friedrich Graf von Schack) no. 1 (1887), published 1888 [ high voice and piano ], Hamburg, Rahter [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Friedrich von Wickede (1834 - 1904), "Seitdem dein Aug' in meines schaute", op. 109 no. 1, published 1886 [ medium voice and piano ], from Verwehte Blätter. Zwei Gedichte für 1 Mittelstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 1, Zürich, Hug [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "D’ençà que els teus ulls esguardaren els meus", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Sinds ooit jouw oog het mijne peilde", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "From the time your eyes gazed into mine", copyright © 2016
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Da quando i tuoi occhi nei miei hanno guardato", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Kevin Robert Andersen
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 44
From the time your eyes gazed into mine, And Love, as if from heaven, Fell from them upon me like dew, What more could the world offer me? It has given me its best, And the silent happiness of my heart Flooded my entire life In that one instant.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
This text was added to the website: 2016-12-29
Line count: 8
Word count: 49