Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn die Bäume grünen, Wenn die Knospen springen, Wundert's dich, wundert's dich, Daß die Vögel singen? Wenn die muntern Burschen Volle Becher schwingen, Wundert's dich, wundert's dich, Daß die Burschen singen? Wenn die Vögel singen In der Luft der blauen, Wundert's dich, wundert's dich, Daß sie Nester bauen? Wenn die Burschen singen Beim Pokal, dem vollen, Wundert's dich, wundert's dich, Daß sie küßen wollen?
Confirmed with Gedichte von Emil Rittershaus, zehnte Auflage, Berlin: Eduard Trewendt, 1906. Appears in Wein, page 362.
- by (Friedrich) Emil Rittershaus (1834 - 1897), "Wundert's dich", appears in Gedichte, in Wein [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Rudolf Gritzner , "Wundert's dich" [ voice and piano ], from Lieder, Band 3; Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel  [sung text not yet checked]
- by Adolf Gunkel (1866 - 1901), "Wundert's dich", op. 29 (Zwei Lieder) no. 1, published 1898 [ voice and piano ], Berlin: Friedlaender [sung text not yet checked]
- by (Isador) George Henschel (1850 - 1934), "Wundert's dich?", op. 7 (3 Gedichte für 4 Männerstimmen) no. 3, published 1871 [ vocal quartet for male voices or four-part men's chorus a cappella ], Leipzig, Siegel [sung text not yet checked]
- by C. Solbrück , "Wundert's dich", op. 10 (Sechs zweistimmige Lieder für 2 Soprane mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1886 [ vocal duet for 2 sopranos with piano ], Hamburg, Niemeyer [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Are you surprised", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Melanie Trumbull
This text was added to the website: 2019-01-12
Line count: 16
Word count: 64
When the trees grow green, When the blossoms burgeon, Are you surprised, are you surprised That the birds sing? When the merry lads Raise full tankards, Are you surprised, are you surprised That the lads sing? When the birds sing In the air, the blue air, Are you surprised, are you surprised That they build nests? When the lads sing Before full goblets Are you surprised, are you surprised That they wish to kiss someone?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by (Friedrich) Emil Rittershaus (1834 - 1897), "Wundert's dich", appears in Gedichte, in Wein
This text was added to the website: 2020-03-12
Line count: 16
Word count: 75