Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Gracieux fils de Pan! Autour de ton front couronné de fleurettes et de baies, tes yeux, des boules précieuses, remeunt. Tachées de lies brunes, tes joues se creusent. Tes crocs luisent. Ta poitrine ressemble à une cithare, des tintements circulent dans tes bras blonds. Ton cœur bat dans ce ventre où dort le double sexe. Promène-toi, la nuit en mouvant doucement cette cuisse, cette seconde cuisse et cette jambe de gauche.
- by (Jean Nicholas) Arthur Rimbaud (1854 - 1891), "Antique", appears in Les Illuminations [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johanna Bordewijk-Roepman (1892 - 1971), "Antique", 1940 [soprano and orchestra], from Les Illuminations, no. 2. [text not verified]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Antique", op. 18 no. 3, from Les Illuminations, no. 3..
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Ahmed E. Ismail) , title 1: "Antique", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CHI Chinese (汉语 / 漢語) (Yen-Chiang Che) , title 1: "古人", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (José Miguel Llata) , title 1: "Antiguo", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:47
Line count: 9
Word count: 71
Gracious child of Pan! Around your brow, crowned by tiny flowers and berries, your eyes - precious globes - stir. Stained by brown dregs, your cheeks are hollowed. Your fangs glisten. Your bosom resembles a zither, its chiming spreading about in your fair arms. Your heart beats in that belly where the double sex sleeps. Walk in the night, moving gently this thigh, that other thigh, and that left leg.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2004 by Ahmed E. Ismail, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by (Jean Nicholas) Arthur Rimbaud (1854 - 1891), "Antique", appears in Les Illuminations
Text added to the website: 2004-07-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:08
Line count: 9
Word count: 70