Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Assez vu. La vision s'est rencontrée à tous les airs. Assez eu. Rumeurs des Villes, le soir, et au soleil, et toujours. Assez connu. Les arrêts de la vie. Ô Rumeurs et Visions! Départ dans l'affection et le bruit neufs!
- by (Jean Nicholas) Arthur Rimbaud (1854 - 1891), "Départ", written 1873-5, appears in Les Illuminations [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Départ", op. 18 no. 9, from Les Illuminations, no. 9 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Philippe Hersant (b. 1948), "Départ", 1998 [ mixed chorus a cappella ], from Allegories, no. 3, Éditions Durand [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Judith Lang Zaimont , "Départ", 1974, first performed 1975 [ high voice and piano ], from Chansons nobles et sentimentales, no. 5 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Pascal Zavaro (b. 1959), "Départ", published 2006 [ medium voice and guitar ], from Sensation, sur un texte d'Arthur Rimbaud, pour soprano et guitare, no. 4, Éd. Gérard Billaudot [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CHI Chinese (中文) (Yen-Chiang Che) , "離別", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Ahmed E. Ismail) , "Departure", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (José Miguel Llata) , "Partida", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:47
Line count: 4
Word count: 40
Enough seen. Visions have been met in every respect. Enough has been. Rumors of towns, at night, and in the light of day, and always. Enough known. The decrees of life. O rumors and visions! Depart in new affection and new noise.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2004 by Ahmed E. Ismail, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by (Jean Nicholas) Arthur Rimbaud (1854 - 1891), "Départ", written 1873-5, appears in Les Illuminations
Text added to the website: 2004-07-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:08
Line count: 4
Word count: 42