Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mon âme a joint ses mains étranges À l'horizon de mes regards ; Exaucez mes rêves épars Entre les lèvres de vos anges! En attendant sous mes yeux las, Et sa bouche ouverte aux prières Éteintes entre mes paupières Et dont les lys n'éclosent pas ; Elle apaise au fond de mes songes, Ses seins effeuillés sous mes cils, Et ses yeux clignent aux périls Éveillés au fil des mensonges.
- by Maurice Maeterlinck (1862 - 1949), "Attente", appears in Serres chaudes, Paris, Éd. Léon Vanier, first published 1889 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Lili Boulanger (1893 - 1918), "Attente", 1910. [high voice and piano] [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Korin Kormick) , title 1: "Expectation", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 70
My soul has joined her foreign hands At the horizon of my glances; Grant my scattered dreams Between the lips of your angels! Waiting under my weary eyes, And her mouth open in prayers Extinguished between my eyelids And of which the lilies do not bloom; She satisfies at the bottom of my dreams, Her breasts denuded under my eyelashes And her eyes gazing half-open at the risks Awakened by the thread of illusions.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2004 by Korin Kormick, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Maurice Maeterlinck (1862 - 1949), "Attente", appears in Serres chaudes, Paris, Éd. Léon Vanier, first published 1889
This text was added to the website: 2004-10-19
Line count: 12
Word count: 74