Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
[Schwester rief den Bruder in die Sonne:]1 "Komm, o Bruder, in die helle Sonne, Daß wir uns am Sonnenstrahl erwärmen [Und]2 den prächt'gen Anblick [dorten]3 schauen! Sieh', die straußgeschmückten Hochzeitleute! Wohl dem Haus, wo sie sich hinbegeben! Wessen Haus [mag wohl des Zuges]4 harren? Wessen Mutter die Geschenk' austeilen? Wessen Bruder Wein mit ihnen trinken? Wessen Schwester unter ihnen sitzen?" -- [Aber ihr entgegnete der Bruder:]1 "Schwesterchen, sei dessen froh und fröhlich! Unser Haus ist's, das der Gäste harret, Unsre Mutter, so die Gaben austeilt, Ich der Bruder, der mit ihnen Wein trinkt, Du die Schwester, die bei ihnen sitzet."
1 omitted by Loewe
2 Loewe: "Daß"
3 Loewe: "dort wir"
4 Loewe: "wohl mag der Gäste"
- by Therese Albertine Luise von Jacob (1797 - 1870), "Überraschung", appears in Volkslieder der Serben, first published 1825 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carl Loewe (1796 - 1869), "Überraschung", op. 15 no. 3 (1824) [ voice and piano ], from Serbischer Liederkreis, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Surprise", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Surprise", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2005-07-28
Line count: 16
Word count: 99
[The sister called her brother out into the sunshine:]1 "Come, oh brother, into the bright sunshine, That we may warm ourselves by the sunbeam, [And]2 gaze upon the glorious view there! See the wedding party, adorned with bouquets! Hail the house to which they go! Whose house might it be that awaits the [procession]3? Whose mother shall distribute the gifts? Whose brother shall drink wine with them? Whose sister shall sit among them?" -- [But her brother replied to her: ]1 "Little sister, be happy and joyful! It is our house that awaits the guests, Our mother who distributes the gifts, I the brother who drinks wine with them, You the sister who sits among them."
1 omitted by Loewe
2 Loewe: "That we may"
3 Loewe: "guests"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Therese Albertine Luise von Jacob (1797 - 1870), "Überraschung", appears in Volkslieder der Serben, first published 1825
This text was added to the website: 2016-11-17
Line count: 16
Word count: 115