Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
She never told her love, But let concealment, like a worm in the bud, Feed on her damask cheek...; She sat, like Patience on a monument, Smiling at grief.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), no title, appears in Twelfth Night: or, What You Will, Act II, Scene 4 (Viola) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by (Franz) Joseph Haydn (1732 - 1809), "She never told her love", Hob. XXVIa no. 34. [text verified 1 time]
- by Clara Kathleen Rogers (1844 - 1931), "She never told her love", op. 10 (Six Songs) no. 1, published 1882 [voice and piano], Boston : Arthur P. Schmidt and Co. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Mai raccontò il suo amore", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (François-Victor Hugo)
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Zij toonde nooit haar hart", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 5
Word count: 29
Mai raccontò il suo amore Ma lo tenne celato, come un verme nel bocciolo, Nutrito dalle sue guance di Damasco ... ; Sedeva, monumento alla Pazienza, Sorridendo alla pena.
- Translation from English to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2005 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), no title, appears in Twelfth Night: or, What You Will, Act II, Scene 4 (Viola)
This text was added to the website: 2005-08-14
Line count: 5
Word count: 29