Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich aber bin elend, und mir ist wehe. Herr, Herr, Gott, barmherzig und gnädig und geduldig und von großer Gnade und Treue, der du beweisest Gnade in tausend Glied, und vergibst Missetat, Übertretung und Sünde, und vor welchem niemand unschuldig ist. Gott, Herr Gott, deine Hilfe schütze mich.
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , Psalms 69:30a, Exodus 34:6b-7a, Psalms 69:30b [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Ich aber bin elend", op. 110 no. 1 [chorus], from Drei Motetten, no. 1, motet [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Jo sóc però miserable", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Ik echter lijd rampspoed", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "But I am wretched", copyright © 2005
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Mais je suis misérable", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Claus-Christian Schuster
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 48
But I am wretched and full of woe. Lord, Lord God, merciful and gracious and patient, of the greatest clemency and constancy, you who show mercy to a thousand generations, and forgive misdeeds, trespasses and sin and before whom nobody is innocent, God, Lord God, may your help protect me.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2005 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Bible or other Sacred Texts , Psalms 69:30a, Exodus 34:6b-7a, Psalms 69:30b
This text was added to the website: 2005-12-31
Line count: 8
Word count: 50